History of the Site
circa early 1900s view of the farmhouse and outbuildings
Ownership of the farmstead remained in the Marsh family until 1857. Subsequent owners were William and Julia Peck (1857-1863); the Tabor family (1863-1931); Alphonse and Marion Lessard (1931-1937); Harvey and Pauline Pillette (1937-1938); and the Hoare family (1938-2001). Food Works, Inc., assumed stewardship of the site in 2001.
Examination of these elements in conjunction with historical research will enable us to create a clearer picture of what has been happening here over the centuries. Our goal is to continue on this path of evolution with traditional and natural building methods while incorporating the practical needs and mission of our organization.
Of special interest are the floor-to-ceiling triple-hung sash in the east parlor, and the hinged interior shutters protecting the lower sash.
Doors: The majority of interior doors still in place appear to be original. Although some doors have been lost, in most cases enough evidence remains to facilitate accurate reconstruction and replacement.
Millwork: Millwork throughout the house is of varying degrees of complexity and sophistication, and clearly articulates the hierarchy of rooms. Elaborate window, door and fireplace surrounds in the east parlor, for example, in combination with other features, indicate that this was the most important room in the house. Other important elements include a delicately detailed newel post and curved banister in the front hall.
Wall coverings: There are an astounding number of wallpaper coverings throughout the farmhouse. A comprehensive study of these papers is currently underway. Determination of their ages and origins will aid in greater accuracy of dating the farmhouse’s original period of construction and subsequent modifications.
Floors: The majority of floors are either of narrow plank tongue and groove construction or employ wide boards nailed to a substrate. On the first level, floors on the south side of the house are generally in fair to good condition. Some are hidden under large sheets of plywood – these will be revealed and recorded once demolition takes place at the onset of the rehabilitation process. Floors on the north side of the house are, for the most part, in poor condition. These have buckled and heaved from a variety of causes. It is hoped however that many of the individual boards can be salvaged and reused in the rehabilitation of the property. Floors on the second level are generally in fair to good condition, and there too it is expected that much of the flooring material can be salvaged and reused.
© 2007 Food Works, Inc.